Projects

Friday, February 3, 2012

Project: Flame Birch jewelry box

As the first blog post, I'm starting a jewelry box for a client.
So, I begin with the entire process of creating this piece.

First, i was given the requirements: 
  • something resembling one she currently has.
  • 1 foot by 2 feet
  • flame birch
  • necklace hangars, ring slots, removable try and a drawer.
So, given these, I began cerebrating my ideas, scribbled them on paper, then using Google's Sketchup program I designed the jewelry box as you see above. I creatively made a few adjustments, first off changing the dimensions to 13x22  "the golden rectangle" so at least it wouldn't look too weird or disproportionate.
the design was quite an effort considering my rudimentary knowledge of Sketchup. thanks to Tim Killen and Dave Richards for their inspiration and help.I highly recommend their articles for any wood-be woodworker.

As usual for any newbie, my faces wouldn't appear, lines were disconnected and overlapped, etc. causing me to restart the entire design about 10 times. Finally I got it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment