Projects

Friday, February 3, 2012

Off to get the wood!

I went up to HighlandHardwoods for some great wood. I knew they would have what I was looking for.
sorting through the rough curly yellow birch bin (wish I had a picture.. note to self next time), and pull out two fantastic boards from the same tree.



As I have slowly learned, its really important to get wood from the same tree for a specific project.
all tree species vary from tree to tree in color and figure. So, to get the besst match its best to get wood from the same tree, and better yet to get them from the same flitch ( sliced) area. Anyway these were labelled fg-56 and fg-57 from the mill. perfect book match as it were.

in rough wood, you can get a general idea, with experience, what it will look like. its only after an initial surface planing, do you really see what you have. It surpassed my expectations. look at this:

No comments:

Post a Comment